Brown Bag seminars
Brown Bag Seminars (bring your own lunch!)
For purposes of increasing the activities within the Minority Profile and enhance the collaboration among all minority oriented and minority minded researchers at the Åbo Akademi, we have introduced a series of brown bag seminars as of January 2017. The seminars take place every third Wednesday of each month. The idea behind the BBs is to create a venue for ÅA researchers and guest speakers to meet and discuss topical issues as regards minorities, present their own research and develop new ideas. Undergraduate students are also warmly welcome to participate. Presentations will be held in English.
The following seminars so far scheduled for the academic year 2017-2018 are:
– 20th September, 12-14 (room C201, Arken), speaker: Rusi Jaspal, De Montfort University and Åbo Akademi University: Managing and reconciling minority identities: insights from social psychology
– 18th October, 12-14 (room C201, Arken), speaker: Johan Bastubacka, University of Helsinki and Åbo Akademi University: Tolerance, oppression and misunderstandings: An Orthodox perspective on ecclesiastical law and -administration in Karelia during the Swedish Great Power Era
– 15th November, 12-14 (room C201, Arken), speaker: Maria Hokkinen, Åbo Akademi University: Rebuilding a life from zero – consumer identity and vulnerability in the context of refugees living in Finland
– 13th December, 12-14 (room C201, Arken), speaker: Anna Möller-Sibelius, Åbo Akademi University: The histories of Finland-Swedish literature – the problems of a minority
– 28th February, 12-14 (Arken CLL B301 Panorama), speaker: Maïmouna Jagne-Soreau, University of Helsinki: Postmigration literature in the Nordic countries
– 21st March, 12-14 (room E201, Arken), speaker: Emmanuel Acquah, University of Turku: Increasing Diversity in Finnish Classrooms: Are Teachers Prepared for the Task Ahead?
– 18th April, 12-14 (room E201, Arken), speaker: Wilhelm Barner-Rasmussen, Åbo Akademi University: Minority and Diversity in International Business
– 16th May, 12-14 (room E201, Arken) speakers: Hilda Ruokolainen (and Eeva-Liisa Eskola), Åbo Akademi University: Information Behaviour Among Asylum Seekers in Finland
All seminars will be streamed via Adobe Connect under the following link: https://connect.vasa.abo.fi/minoritet/
Please also let us know if you would like to present your work at one of the seminars scheduled for Autumn 2018.
Please note that the idea behind a brown bag seminar is that participants bring their own lunch to the event.
Religious and Ethnic Future of Europe
A conference arranged by The Donner Institute, The Department of Comparative Religion at Åbo Akademi University and The Migration Institute of Finland
12-13 June, 2017, Åbo Akademi University
Arken building, Fabriksgatan 2 / Tehtaankatu 2
20500 Åbo / Turku